Mickey Contractor, makeup artist to the stars, shares some of his makeup tips using MAC Cosmetics to get that Bollywood Look you’ve dreamed of all along. He has worked on Kajol, Rani Mukherjee, Asha Bhosle, Aishwarya Rai, Tabu, Preity Zinta, Sonali Bendre, Pooja Bhatt, and Sushmita Sen just to name a few! It was he who transformed Rani’s “girl next door” look in Ghulam, to the more glamorous in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai. He is famous for giving Rani the kohl-eyed, pale lips look that everyone is craving for. Keep reading to find out how you can get this look! It was Mickey who also convinced Kajol not to shape her eyebrows because she looks beautiful with them. As the director of cosmetic major MAC India, Mickey feels that beautiful is “anyone who is herself and has a personal style” and that a “clear complexion” is a sure prerequisite for beauty. Follow some of Mickey’s tips and you’ll be sure to look like a Bollywood star!
THE LOOK: BARE BASICS on Preity Zinta
- Choose a foundation that is closest to your skin color. He recommends M.A.C Studio Fix Fluid.
- The eyeshadow should be very neutral, just enough to help contour and bring out the best. He recommends M.A.C Eyeshadow in Bamboo
- No false eyelashes feature in this natural look.
- Use lots of mascara and separate your lashes well, leaving no clumps. He recommends M.A.C Zoomlash Mascara
- Blend the eyeliner well. Very fair skin can use brown liner. He recommends M.A.C Fluidline in Dipdown
- Keep the lip color natural and pale. He recommends M.A.C Mattene Lipstick in Flattering
- The blush, a shade of peach or pink (M.A.C Powder Blush in Pinch O’ Peach and M.A.C Powder Blush in Fleur Power), should begin from the apple of your cheeks. Work upwards and outwards.
THE LOOK: SULTRY SMOKY on Kajol, Aishwarya, and Rani
This dark eyes and pale mouth look is always a winner. Be it Kajol’s sexy act amongst the pyramids in Kabhie Khushi Kabhi Gham, Aishwarya Rai in Shabd or Rani Mukherjee’s sultry peepers in Chalte Chalte, the smoky look is always a stunner. Here’s the rocking explanation:
- Prepare your face with the right shade of foundation (M.A.C Studio Fix Fluid).
- Use darker colors on your eyelids and blend well (M.A.C Eyeshadows in Embark, Cranberry, Sketch, Deep Truth, Humid, Bronze, Black Tied).
- Line your lower lids with kohl and smudge it with some black eye-shadow (M.A.C Eye Kohl in Smolder, M.A.C Eyeshadow in Carbon).
- Top off with at least two coats of mascara (M.A.C Plush Lash Mascara).
- Line your lips with a liner (M.A.C Lip Pencil in Oak) and blend well with a pale shade of lipstick (M.A.C Lipstick in Sandy B), leaving no sharp lines.
- Finish with lots of gloss. He recommends M.A.C Tinted Lipglass in Oyster Girl
- Accentuate your cheekbones with a deeper shade of blush. He recommends M.A.C Blushcreme in Pleasureful
THE LOOK: OLD IS GOLD on Jaya Bachchan
Remember Jaya Bachchan as the super-glam Ma of K3G? Here’s Mickey’s advice for the middle-aged divas in the making.
- Choose appropriate skin products and look after your skin regularly. From the M.A.C Skincare line he recommends M.A.C Studio Moisture Cream, which reduces the appearance of fine lines
- Always remember that less is more.
- Use make-up not as a cover, but as a highlighter of your beauty.
- Use minimum foundation as it tends to show up in the creases and folds. For older skin Mickey recommends M.A.C Studio Tech
- Eyebrows form the frame of the face and at this age, they tend to get sparse. Concentrate on them to get the look right. He recommends M.A.C Brow Finisher
- Choose colors for the shadows, liners and lipsticks that suit your personality. (M.A.C Eyeshadows in Satin Taupe, Vanilla, Era; M.A.C Lip Pencil in Spice; M.A.C Lipsticks in Taupe, Honeylove, Cherish, Sparks Can Fly)
- Keep with the make-up trends but always re-work them to complement you.
Mickey’s PERFECT POINTS:
“The crux of perfecting your art of make-up lies in the finer details,” stresses Mickey. Here are some expert tips, to make all the difference:
- Choosing the right foundation is half the beauty battle won. There are tons to choose from, M.A.C Studio Mist, M.A.C Select Tint, M.A.C Face and Body, M.A.C Mineralize Satinfinish, M.A.C Select SPF15, M.A.C Studio Fix Fluid (Mickey’s personal fave), M.A.C Hyper Real, M.A.C Studio Fix, M.A.C Select Moistureblend, M.A.C Studio Tech, M.A.C Full Coverage, M.A.C Studio Stick. Take your pick accordingly.
- Use an eyelash curler to open up the eyes, especially if you put kajal inside your eyes (M.A.C Eye Kohl in Smolder).
- Understanding your source of light is vital.
- You can use M.A.C Clear Lipglass on your eyelids. Try not to smudge it with liner; stick only to mascara (M.A.C Zoom Lash Mascara).
- To look dramatic, introduce some color to highlight and some glitter (M.A.C Glitter) wherever you are comfortable.
Tags: Aishwarya Rai, asha bhosle, bollywood makeup, chalte chalte, jaya bachchan, k3g, kabhi khushi kabhi gham, kajol, mac cosmetics, mac india, mickey contractor, pooja bhatt, preity zinta, rani mukherjee, shabd, sonali bendre, sushmita sen, tabu